JAIN VISHWA BHARATI USA
Quiz for 10th Annual Camp - January 2006
1. Which mantra has the essence of 14 Purvas?
3. What is the purpose of reciting the Namokar Mantra?
Awakening inner energy
4. How many Tirthankars in whole time cycle?
5. When did Lord Mahavir attain Salvation ?
6. Lion is the symbol of:
7. How many divisions are in the time cycle?
8. Jainism belongs to which streams of thought?
9. Where did 20 Tirthakars attain nirvan (salvation)?
10. What do we call our holy scriptures?
11. How many paps are there ?
12. How many categories of punya are there?
13. What is the Universe ?
Conglomeration of 6 substances
14. The smallest part of Pudgal is:
15. What is meant by Pajjushan?
16. Which karma prevents all sorts of good things to happen?
17. That which obscures knowledge is:
18. What does Mohaniya make wrong?
Faith and conduct
19. What does the Ayu karma determine?
20. Which karma determines social and economical status?
21. Those who can not move at will are ?
22. Which karma destroys main qualities of soul?
23. The process of partial eradication of karmas is called:
24. To ask and give forgiveness for sinful actions is:
25. What is the emblem of Rishbhadiv?
26. What is meant by Arihanta?
27. What is meant by Tirthankar ?
Trithanker is a special Arihanta beause they revitalize the four fold jain order.
28. What is jina ?
29. What is destructive karma ?
30. How many karma are destructive?
There are four destructive karmas.
31. How many virtues of the Arihantas?
There are twelve virtues.
32. How many virtues of the siddhas?
There are eight.
33. How many Acharya virtues are there?
There are thirty-six
34. How many Upadhyays virtues are there?
There are twenty- five.
35. Who are sadhus ?
36.What does Samayik means ?
Samayik means equanimity.
37. What is the difference between worldly and liberated souls?
38. How many divisions are in the time cycle?
Two: Ascending and descending
39. What does ascending and descending mean?
During the ascending cycle everything progressed and develops. During the descending cycle everything is at its worse .
40. Where do the liberated souls live?
In the upper part of the universe called siddhashila.
41. What does “bhavana” means ?
Deep-thinking or contemplation.
42. How do we increase our memory power ?
43. How many segments are in each division of the time cycle?
44. In which aara are we in now ?
45. What are the different destinies in which we may be reborn ?
There are four destines: Human being, celestial beings, subhuman beings, and infernal beings.
46. How many karmas are there ?
47. What is non- destructive karma?
They do not obstruct the true nature of the soul .
48. What is meant by Siddhas ?
Siddhas have attained salvation.
49. What are Acharyas?
50. Who are Upadhyays ?
51. How many Tattvas ( fundamentals ) are there?
There are nine.
52. What are the names of the first four Tattvas?
Living beings, matter, merit, and demerit.
53. What are the last five Tattvas?
Influx of karma, bondage of karma, stoppage of karma, shedding of karma, liberation.
54. How many Dravyas are there ?
55. What are the names of the Dravyas?
Medium of motion, medium of rest, space, time, matter, jiva .
56. What is the characteristic of the soul
57. What are the five great vows of monks and nuns?
Ahimsa ( non-violence), truth, non-stealing, celibacy, non-possessiveness .
58. What is meant by non-violence?